Dr. Steve Solloway is the most empathetic warm and understanding doctor and his knowledge and wisdom of the human body is PRICELESS!
I visited him for pain caused by a persistent pain in my jaw caused by a complex case of TMJ. My symptoms were not the most obvious as my ability to eat was not compromised by pain, the symptoms were far more subtle, therefore more difficult to treat. I was also dealing with effects of chemotherapy I had received previously for cancer and hormonal imbalances from a tot al hysterectomy. He then began a protocol of acupuncture Chiropractic adjustment and a full body detox that have given me relief that I had not received to date despite the several other Acupuncturists I had visited in years past.
Acupuncture has shown in recent studies to help regulate the immune system by decreasing allergic responses and improving the ability to fight off viral and bacterial infections. For many patients, acupuncture brings almost immediate relief. Allergies occur when the immune system mounts an attack on something harmless such as pollen or pet dander. Asthma, hay fever, eczema, behavioral problems, insomnia, and digestive problems can all stem from underlying allergies and can be treated with acupuncture and Chinese herbs.
Acupuncture and Chinese herbs can be effective forms of treatment for mild to moderate cases of anxiety. They can also be safely combined with conventional treatments such as talk therapy and pharmaceuticals for more severe cases. Our acupuncturists may also suggest customized dietary and lifestyle changes if necessary to speed progress.
About nine out of ten adults experience back pain at some point in their life, and five out of ten working adults have back pain every year. The spine is a complex interconnecting network of nerves, joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments, and all are capable of producing pain. Large nerves that originate in the spine and go to the legs and arms can make pain radiate to the extremities.
Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs can be effective forms of treatment for mild to moderate cases of depression. They can also be safely combined with conventional treatments such as talk therapy and pharmaceutical drugs for more severe cases. Our acupuncturists may also suggest customized dietary and lifestyle changes if necessary to speed progress.
Acupuncture improves hearing for patients with hearing loss. Research published in the International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine finds acupuncture effective for the treatment of nerve related deafness. This type of sensorineural deafness is hearing loss due to auditory nerve damage. Hearing loss is a major issue with today’s baby boomer generation, which usually results in the loss of hearing higher frequencies. Hearing loss can lead to devastating effects on inter-personal relationships.
Chronic fatigue affects more than one million Americans and can cause pain, insomnia, a weakened immune system and other symptoms leading to a poor quality of life. Many patients with this diagnosis find relief with the combination of Chinese herbs, acupuncture and dietary changes prescribed by our licensed acupuncturists. Fatigue that has not been examined by a doctor can be associated with a multitude of disease states and should be assessed by your primary care physician. If your fatigue is associated with stress, insomnia, mild depression or other known causes, treatments with Chinese medicine could give you more energy and correct the underlying cause of fatigue.
A headache may be a sharp pain, throbbing sensation or dull ache. Headaches may appear gradually or suddenly, and they may last less than an hour or for several days. When it comes to treating headaches, acupuncture may one day be as common a remedy as taking aspirin. In fact, the ancient Chinese treatment is gaining respect in the medical community as a therapy for aching heads. A new study at the University of North Carolina adds to a growing body of clinical research supporting acupuncture’s role as a headache therapy.
The study of more than 70 chronic headache sufferers found that those who added six-weeks of acupuncture to their medical treatment reported less pain and better quality of life compared to those who didn’t receive the therapy.
Acupuncture has shown to be very effective in improving blood flow to the uterus and ovaries. This helps primarily with the implantation of embryos (which is especially important for women doing IVF). Acupuncture also promotes timely ovulation and an ideal luteal phase. It raises levels of stress coping hormones (cortisol & prolactin) when it is applied before ovulation. By decreasing stress, the chances of fertilization and implantation increase.
Knees are one of the most commonly injured joints in the human body. We use our knees a lot – probably more than you even realize: Knees are used to sit, to stand, to walk and just to maintain your balance. It’s no wonder, then, that knees are one of the most commonly injured joints in the human body. Our knees act as big shock absorbers, and as a result, they’re subjected to tremendous amounts of stress and strain every day.
The knee joint is designed to bend and flex in a single plane – up and down. A single misplaced step can cause the knee to twist or overextend, resulting in pain and inflammation in the ligaments, tendons and other areas of the joint that can make even simple movement uncomfortable.
- Acupuncture helps increase circulation to the injured area, and that helps healing in a couple of ways. When blood flow is increased, all the toxins and fluids that build up as a result of inflammation can be removed more quickly. That means swelling will decrease more rapidly, reducing the painful friction that occurs when swollen tissues rub against each other. Improved circulation also promotes healing by supplying the injured area with an increased supply of oxygen- and nutrient-rich blood, speeding up the tissue repair process.
- Acupuncture relaxes and loosens painful knots that develop in and around the muscles. Acupuncture works by deactivating painful trigger points, unknotting sore spots and helping relax the unnatural tension that can develop in the muscle fibers as a result of injury.
- Finally, acupuncture works with the body’s own healing and pain mediation processes to help resolve the underlying injury naturally.
Studies have shown that acupuncture is effective in reducing pain in patients waiting for knee surgery and can even be used as an alternative to surgery in some patients.
It has been reported that acupuncture application in obesity treatment is effective in procuring weight loss. Acupuncture can affect appetite, intestinal motility, and metabolism, as well as emotional factors such as stress. Increases in neural activity in the hypothalamus, in tone in the smooth muscle of the stomach and in levels of endorphins and serotonin have also been observed.
Osteoarthritis is a normal condition result of aging. It is the most common contributing to wear and tear on a joint. Symptoms usually appear middle age and typically run in the family. Being overweight can contribute to added stress on the joints. Fractures or joint injuries can lead to Osteoarthritis later in life. Jobs and playing sports that have direct impact on the joints increases the risks of arthritis
Pain is a feeling triggered in the nervous system. It may be sharp or dull, off-and-on or steady, localized (such as neck pain) or all over (such as muscle aches from the flu). Sometimes, pain alerts us to injuries and illnesses that need attention. Although pain usually goes away once the underlying problem is addressed, it can last for weeks, months, or even years. Chronic pain may be due to an ongoing condition (such as arthritis) or to abnormal activity in pain-sensing regions of the brain, or the cause may not be known.
- Neck pain is very common today, even among young people, with the increase in sitting at computers and slouching while texting putting stress on the vertebrae.
- Researchers believe acupuncture has an effect on two chemical components that are essential in the body’s natural healing process: Endorphins and serotonin – the body’s “feel good” chemicals. They’re also a natural painkiller, working in the same way strong pain medication works by interacting with pain receptors in your brain so you experience less pain at the injury site. Endorphins can also cause a mild sedative effect, helping your muscles to relax. Serotonin is another “feel good” chemical that’s been closely linked with mood. Like endorphins, serotonins decrease the brain’s perception of pain, which in turn can help muscles relax and improve blood flow.
Respiratory problems respond very well to acupuncture and Chinese herbs. Whether you are coming in for an acute cold or cough or a chronic problem like asthma or emphysema, acupuncture can help improve lung function, calm inflammation and clear phlegm congestion.
Sciatica may be caused by general compression or irritation of one of five spinal nerve roots that give rise to each sciatic nerve, or by compression or irritation of the left or right or both sciatic nerves. The pain is felt in the lower back, buttock, or various parts of the leg and foot. In addition to pain, which is sometimes severe, there may be numbness, muscular weakness, pins and needles or tingling and difficulty in moving or controlling the leg.
- Typically, the symptoms are only felt on one side of the body. Treatment for sciatica or sciatic symptoms often differs, depending upon the underlying cause of the symptoms and pain levels.
- Common causes are compression of Lumbar Nerves L3, L4 or L5, compression of Sacral Nerves S1, S2, or S3 or compression of the Sciatic Nerve
URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS
Some women are prone to frequent urinary tract infections (UTIs) and can experience them regularly, particularly after sexual activity. While most UTIs should be treated by your doctor with antibiotics, over time, repeat doses of these drugs can interfere with digestion and lead to other problems like yeast infections. Acupuncture and Chinese herbs can help women prone to UTIs by preventing recurrence and treating symptoms before it becomes a full-blown infection.