Treatment times vary from 30 to 60 minutes. Sometimes the front and back of your body are treated during a visit. For instance, we may treat your back to strengthen your immune system and next treat your front to have your body expel mucus from your lungs. Many times a heat lamp is used to add energy/qi to help you heal while you are being treated. Generally you feel rather relaxed during and after a visit.
- Traditional Chinese and Japanese acupuncture techniques are utilized:
- Very THIN NEEDLES are used for the extra sensitive patient
- Scalp acupuncture is very beneficial for strokes, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s and brain injuries
- Extraordinary vessel treatments are used for deep healing physically and emotionally
- Ear acupuncture nicely helps PTSD, smoking and other addictions
- Gha Shaw and cupping benefits muscle/tendon injuries and spasms
- Pulse and tongue diagnosis, as used over many centuries, is evaluated each visit
before treatment. This helps us identify what state of health you are in and where to treat.
- Far infared deep heating gives energy to help an area heal
- Electo-acupuncture goes inside muscle/tendon injuries to speed up recovery
- Laser applications used to reduce swelling and shorten healing time after surgery.
What is ACUPUNCTURE?
Acupuncture is a branch of traditional Chinese medicine which originated around 3,000 years ago. It gradually made its way out of China and across Asia, eventually reaching the rest of the world in the last century.
In recent years acupuncture has rapidly increased in popularity. More research is being carried out all the time, and we are now beginning to scientifically understand how this ancient system of medicine works and its far-reaching benefits.
- Acupuncture aims to both maintain health and treat disease. It is carried out by placing fine needles at specific points on the body called acupuncture points. These needles are as thin as a hair, sterile and disposed of after a single use. Once the needles are in place people experience a range of different sensations. These vary between a warm, tingling sensation and a light, dull ache. Most people find it an extremely relaxing experience.
- Acupuncture activates your body’s natural ability to heal itself. Acupuncture promotes blood flow. Restoring proper blood flow is vital to promoting and maintaining health. Acupuncture stimulates the body’s built-in healing system.
- Acupuncture releases natural painkillers and anti-inflammatory substances in your blood & reduces both the amount and awareness of chronic pain.
- Recent scientific research has shown when an acupuncture needle is inserted into the body, specific regions of the brain are activated. This activation allows regulation of other systems in the body primarily through the modulation of molecules such as neurotransmitters and hormones. Collectively, scientific research has shown that acupuncture can modulate all the primary systems in the body including the nervous, endocrine and immune systems.
IS IT PAINFUL?
Generally not. Most people compare the sensation to less than a mosquito bite. An acupuncture needle is only about as thick as a human hair – many times thinner than a sewing needle or syringe. We will make your visits comfortable for you.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?
Treatments are 30 to 60 minutes and you are seen 1 to 2 times per week. During treatments most patients feel a deep, calming and peaceful rest.
WHAT IS Qi (Chi)?
Qi is the energy network that travels under our skin and communicates with our muscles, blood vessels, spine…all of our internal organs.
WHAT IS EAR ACUPUNCTURE?
Ear acupuncture is the treatment of choice for addictions — like smoking, alcohol or excessive eating. A painless cold laser is utilized.
WHAT CAN ACUPUNCTURE TREAT?
Below is a list of those conditions collected by the World Health Organization:
|Common Cold||Headache||Shoulder Pain|
|Dental Pain||Irritable Bowel||Sore Throat|
|Depression||Low Back Pain||Stress|
|Digestive Problems||Menstrual Irregularities||Trigeminal Neuralgia|
|Dizziness||Migraine||Urinary Tract Infection|
How many treatments will my case take to cure?
Below is a list of average visitis for common cases. For more information, please contact us.
|Quitting smoking||2 – 3|
|Regulating menstrual irregularities||around 12|
|Neck, shoulder, lower back or knee pain||5 – 10|
|Fibromyalgia||about 10 visits to improve|
|Migraines||3 – 10 to improve|
|Anxiety/Panic attacks||5 – 10 to lessen|
|Menopausal issues||around 12 to lessen|
Related Articles from Dr. Solloway
Rotator cuff and related shoulder pain is very prevalent with so many of us spending so many hours at the computer. Our slouching posture causes the shoulder tendons to get stretched and eventually torn. These tears are further stretched when we sleep on our sides, then our shoulders generally have a burning or aching pain. The solution is to first calm down the inflammation in the tendons; this is done with acupuncture and homeopathic remedies. Acupuncture treatment greatly reduces the tendons inflammation. Then we work on getting your posture better with showing you how to make sitting properly a comfortable experience. Some patients require massage therapy to undo the years of muscle spasms and adhesions in the tendons. Your postural spinal issues are next dealt with by acupuncture and chiropractic care. Easy-to-do home exercises need to be taught, and practiced, or most patients risk recreating the same situation over again.
Menopause can be an uncomfortable change for many women. Hot flashes, night sweats, panic disorders, dryness in different parts of the body and fatigue are some of the symptoms faced during this cross-over. For thousands of years Traditional Chinese Medicine has been treating some of the underlying causes so the previously mentioned symptoms lessen greatly or discontinue altogether. The loss of hormones is viewed as a loss of yin (yin being internal fluid). This loss is mirrored in the loss of other internal fluids affecting the bowels, skin and throat. Acupuncture and herbs are used to nourish a women’s body – her yin – so that dry stool constipation is alleviated. Also, we subside the heat episodes and this allows the mind to calm. Many times homeopathic remedies are used to further assist in the dissipation of the heat disorders and their associated mood alterations. Menopauses many times will interfere with other parts of the body healing. With this natural form of treatment, side effects from hormone therapy are avoided.
Parkinson disease (PD) generally happens to sensitive, high achievers. Their emotional center gets over-loaded. Consequently, they can’t handle stress like they used to and this further frustrates them. Acupuncture removes some of the stress, tightness we call wind. This allows them to feel peaceful. Then we start strengthening their bodies, they are depleted from the stress that initially injured the substania nigra and weakened with the constant tension from the PD. Patients notice that they can think through conflicts and not get so over whelmed. The tremor intensity decreases. PD is different in each person diagnosed. Acupuncture has been helping PD patients for many centuries.
Before fertility to birth is very much an emotional roller coaster ride. Acupuncture is very effective in helping women get pregnant. We help the parts of the monthly cycle function properly and strongly. Many times there will be an issue with one part of the monthly cycle that interferes with ovulation or maintaining the fertilized egg in the uterus. We will determine this during the consultation. We work with fertility doctors regularly. It generally takes most women weekly treatments for three months to get pregnant. During pregnancy, acupuncture is highly effective at alleviating morning sickness, carpel tunnel, lower back pain and much more.